Hey, folks. Just a brief message here announcing the grand opening of the Book of Mammoth. You should see a tab linking to it at the top left of your screen.
This is a series of stories I began a couple of years ago, and to date, I've only written five of them. These five are posted with the hopes it'll kick start some production on my part.
The second order of business tonight is to belatedly respond to Shelly Bryant's nomination for the Honest Scrap Award in which the recipient is supposed to outline ten facts regarding his/her character that are unknown to most people. Now, I have a strident dislike for chain blogothons like these, but I've bitten a few hooks in my day. In fact, Shelly might even recall my runaround of the "Fours Challenge" back during our WritingUp days entitled "The Sign of Four" in which I spent 1000 words or so specifically not answering the questions asked of me.
However, Shelly is a top-notch blogger and a really swell person. I and the rest of us at Sloth Jockey are indebted to her for her consistent poetry and book review submissions as well as for her willingness to blog for us on Tai Shan.
So I'll bite on this Honest Scrap thing out of pure gratitude. And while we're at it, if you're holding a drink in your hand, let's have a toast for Shelly.
- Ever since I was a child, I've had a disquietingly strong suspicion that I would die at the age of twenty-eight. This suspicion pre-dates my awareness of Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison insofar as their dates of death are concerned. At the time of this writing, I am twenty-four years old.
- I am a recovering hypochondriac, though I have not been clinically diagnosed with the disorder. Eventually, my worries conflicted to a great enough degree with my daily life that I felt professional confirmation would prove purely semantic.
- Due to said hypochondria, I correctly diagnosed my own mouth lesion prior to having it biopsied. The doctor's own intuitions were incorrect. I have also scored an average of 85% on a series of quizzes given to graduate students from the University of Southern California's dental program. These quizzes were, for a time, posted on their website.
- I have flat feet. By flat, I mean there is literally no arch. This has wreaked particular havoc on my lower back.
- I regularly personify inanimate objects and proceed to have conversations with them.
- Despite almost universal opposition to this viewpoint, I continue to strongly believe in the passage of laws that would grant other intelligent primates such as gorillas and chimpanzees rights akin to those humans enjoy. I also believe it should be illegal to keep such (most) animals in any sort of captivity, zoos included. Further rights should be given to all types of animals.
- Part of me remains nervous about apocalyptic theories regarding 2012. In the interest of rational thought, I have attempted to squelch these somewhat unfounded concerns. This becomes all the more difficult the second I open a newspaper.
- It takes four beers to get me drunk. Due to this fact, I do not drink often.
- I have semi-secret desires to be both a world-class yodeler as well as a world class crooner. I'm not making this up.
- I believe the K-T extinctions were a result of drastically increased volcanic activity (possibly even a supervolcanic eruption) as opposed to an asteroid striking earth.